Care for your jewellery like a pro with these tips from Corrine Smith, owner and designer at JOY.
Jewellery is often more than just an accessory; it can hold sentimental value, represent a special occasion or milestone, or be a valuable investment. For these reasons, it's crucial to take care of your jewellery properly. Neglecting your jewellery result in damage, loss, or the need for costly repairs. By following some simple jewellery care tips, you can help your collection maintain its beauty and value for years to come.
As someone who has worked in the jewellery industry for many years, I know first hand how important it is to take care of your jewellery.
Fashion and costume jewellery should get the same care and attention as precious metals, with a few minor tweaks to ensure you get the best from your pieces
Cleaning your Jewellery Correctly
- Clean your jewellery regularly.
- Use a soft cloth and warm soapy water to clean your jewellery (fashion jewellery should use a soft dry cloth only). Use soap gentle enough for your skin – as harsh chemicals could damage the piece.
- Clean after each wear.
- Avoid wearing jewellery when applying lotions and sprays.
- Wipe off excess lotion or spray before wearing jewellery.
- Remove jewellery before showering, swimming and exercising as water can damage it if it stays on too long.
Jewellery Storage Solutions
- Store your jewellery in a jewellery box or case to protect it from dust, dirt, and scratches.
- If you don’t have original packaging or a jewellery box fear not – a Ziplock bag is perfect for storing jewellery!
- Keep all your pieces in separate bags so they don’t rub together and scratch.
- Store your jewellery away from direct sunlight or heat sources (like radiators).
- Put on jewellery last when getting dressed, so that it doesn't get caught in clothing or other items.
- Keep your jewellery in a secure place. It's best to keep your jewellery in its box or bag.
- Don’t store your jewellery in a damp or humid environment, such as a bathroom.
Travelling and Caring for Jewellery
- Carry on only – always have your precious items with you!
- Harsh environments such as salt water and chlorine all cause tarnishing – be sure to follow the cleaning tips above.
- Use a jewellery roll or organiser to keep your jewellery safe, organised and tangle free.
- Extreme temperatures such as being left in a hot car or on a windowsill can cause damage and discolouration.
- Do not sleep in your jewellery as it can scratch, tangle or even break.
By following our jewellery care tips, you can help your collection last for generations. Remember to clean your jewellery regularly, take it off before engaging in certain activities, and store it properly in a cool, dry place. When travelling, take extra care to keep your jewellery safe and organised. And finally, avoid common mistakes such as using harsh chemicals or wearing your jewellery while sleeping.
With proper care, you can enjoy your jewellery for years to come.